April. Folk calendar
There is no single interpretation of the Latin name “aprilis”. Some produce it from the “aprekus” - warmed by the sun, others - from the verb “aperira” (open), that is, the month when the earth opens its bowels after a winter numbness and lush growth of greenery begins. The ancient Russian name for April is pollen: some plants bloom. There were other nicknames: the snowman (the snow completely melts), Aquarius, caddis (melt water is poured), birch sap - ash for birch trees: in April, birch sap was prepared - sokovitsa. In Belarusian - a beauty.
The average monthly temperature is +3.7 ° C. The monthly norm of sunshine is 164.5 hours. April adds 33 mm of precipitation to the melt waters. General climatic characteristic: “neither colder than March, nor warmer than May”.
April Seasonal Events Calendar
|Temperature transition above 0 ° С||April 3||March 13 (1933)||April 24 (1929)|
|Beginning of sap flow by birch||April 8th||March 25 (1930)||April 27 (1929)|
|Lapwing flies||April 11||March 20 (1906)||May 14 (1912)|
|Cranes fly north||April 11||March 25 (1915)||April 17 (1911)|
|Snow is coming off||12th of April||March 17 (1921)||April 21 (1926)|
|Coltsfoot blooms||April 13th||March 31 (1953)||April 26 (1945)|
|- hazel (hazel)||April 18th||April 4 (1921)||May 6 (1929)|
|- red willow||April 24th||April 8 (1921)||May 6 (1929)|
|Temperature transition through 5 ° С||20 April||April 3 (1921)||May 6 (1893)|
|Thaw the soil completely||20 April||April 8 (1935)||May 5 (1929)|
|The beginning of sowing of early spring||April 24th||April 13 (1937)||May 9 (1929)|
|The cuckoo begins to cook||April 29th||April 24 (1951)||May 6 (1944)|
April proverbs and signs
- February is rich in snow, April is rich in water.
- April streams wake the earth.
- Do not break the stove - it's April in the yard.
- April with water - May with grass.
- April does not like lazy, agile pigeons.
- Wet April is a good arable land.
- April is red with buds, May with leaflets.
Detailed folk calendar for April
April 1st - Daria the Mouthpiece. In a different way - Daria-beat the ice-hole (dirt, horse manure at the ice-hole).
April, 4 - Vasily the sunflower, Vasily the greenhouse, Vasily the drip - from the roofs of the drops.
April 7th - The Annunciation. The third meeting of spring. "Spring has overcome winter at the Annunciation." The winter path collapses a week before the Annunciation or a week later. Annunciation frosts.
- If on the Annunciation the snow lies on the roofs, so lie to him until Yegoriy (May 6).
- Veil (October 14) - not summer, Annunciation - not winter.
- Forty cold matinees remained from the Annunciation.
- Spring to the Annunciation - many frosts ahead.
- At the Annunciation, a thunderstorm - to a warm summer.
- On the Annunciation, the sky is cloudless, the sun is bright - to be a formidable summer.
- If the night of the Annunciation is warm, then spring will be friendly.
April 9th - Day of Matryona-Mother Superior. The flybacks - lapwing flies.
- Lapwing flew in, brought water on the tail.
- Pike tail ice breaks.
- Under the threshold of ford, on the street crossing.
14th of April - "Marya - light the snow, play the ravines."
- Marya flood lights.
- The water goes on clear nights - for a nice cleaning.
- Marya - empty cabbage soup: there is a supply of cabbage.
April 19th - Fedul. "Fedul came, the teplyak pouted." On Fedul put up windows.
The 21st of April - Rodivon - "icebreaking, roaring waters."
- On Rodivon, put a plow, plow under oats.
- In the spring you will miss an hour, in the summer you will not make up.
April 23 - Rufa - "the road is crumbling."
April 24th - Antipodal. If the water (river) did not open on Antipas, the summer will be bad.
26 April - Vasily Pariysky. The bear comes out of the den.
April 29th - "Irina-urvi coast." High water. The rivers are turned banks.
Nature is becoming more and more alive. Water is freed from ice, rivers are being poured. Hazel and alder blossom. On the hillocks and slopes of the railways, coltsfoot turns yellow. Poisonous wolf bast blooms in beautiful pink and purple flowers in the forest, blue and white copses, corydalis, spleen bloomed. Chistyak and buttercup turn yellow in damp places. Yellow goose bow stars peek out from the grass.
- V. D. Groshev. Calendar of the Russian farmer (National signs).
A.K. Savrasov, Winter (1870)