Spectacular delphiniums in your garden. Growing Secrets
You have a large flower garden, but it lacks the zest? Then put the delphinium in it. This slender, elegant perennial with dense inflorescences-tassels, the height of different species of which varies from 10 cm to 2 m, will effectively decorate a flower bed and will delight you with a variety of shades. But before you settle the delphinium in your garden, you should get to know it better. In our article, we will tell you about the conditions that this plant prefers, how to care for it, and also share the secrets of making magnificent flower arrangements.
- Features of growing dolphiniums
- A bit about caring for the dolphinium
- What company suits dolphiniums?
Features of growing dolphiniums
In order for a slender handsome man to feel great on your site, start by choosing the right place for him. Here, the main criteria are: good illumination, protection from the wind, rich in humus and sufficiently moist loamy soil. If the land on the plot is acidic, it must be liming.
Planting of the delphinium is carried out in such a way that the root neck with the kidneys of renewal does not penetrate into the soil. At the same time, the depth of the planting hole should be about 50 cm. After planting, the plant is abundantly watered and mulched with dry peat or humus.
The best fertilizer for dolphiniums is compost, rotted manure and ash. And as fertilizing, you can use complex mineral fertilizers or liquid organics (for example, an aqueous solution of mullein). In addition, at the beginning of flowering, plants need additional phosphorus-potassium fertilizing.
A bit about caring for the dolphinium
In order for your dolphiniums to develop well and bloom beautifully, it is important to observe 3 simple conditions:
- Regularly loosen the soil around the bush (once a week in summer), so that air and nutrients penetrate the roots without hindrance.
- Implement preventive measures against diseases and pests. So, several times during the season it is recommended to sprinkle the leaves of plants with ash - this is a great way to prevent the appearance of powdery mildew.
- And in order to protect dolphiniums from slugs and snails, it is necessary to sprinkle preparations with iron phosphate (Ferramol) around the bushes - they do not harm hedgehogs and earthworms, but are merciless to mollusks. You can also collect pests manually by constructing a shelter for them from slate sheets or boards, under which they will crawl in the afternoon.
- Trim the faded stems of plants (to a height of 15-20 cm). Due to this, already in 5-7 days after pruning, new flower-bearing shoots form at the delphiniums, and after another 2-4 weeks, the next flowering wave sets in.
Which company suits dolphiniums?
High upright specimens look good in combination with plants that have a flowering bush shape (for example, daylilies and various ornamental herbs). And also, the delphinium is an ideal partner for a rose, due to similar care requirements and a harmonious combination of shades.
If you have a lot of space in the garden, then with the help of a group of delphiniums you can create an interesting multi-tiered composition from smooth transitions of different shades of the same color. But, do not forget that after flowering the plant loses its decorative effect. In this regard, in the foreground of the composition it is better to arrange medium-tall herbaceous perennials, for example, geranium or sage.