Seasonal lawn care
The lawn on the site gives an unprecedented pleasure from the contemplation of a perfect, well-groomed and dense green carpet. But the impression of decorating the site and one of the most attractive objects in landscape design is made only by well-groomed lawns. And it is the constant and tireless care of your favorite emerald sites that is the most difficult moment in their cultivation. The lawn requires not only regular, but also thorough care, which does not stop throughout the active season. And if mowing is a separate component of care that requires an individual approach, then all lawns, without exception, need watering, top dressing, ventilation.
6 lawn care components
An ideal lawn cannot be obtained without perfect care. The only way to keep the green carpet in perfect condition and to avoid difficulties is to strictly adhere to the rules for creating a lawn and from the first procedures to provide him with tireless care. Neither the elite type of grass mixtures, nor even the services of professionals in creating a lawn will give results, if at least one miss in leaving is allowed.
So, lawn care should be regular, systemic and complete. But the main difficulty is not that all the procedures must be carried out in a timely manner, but that the maintenance of the lawn is not limited to the basic components. In addition to obvious and very important procedures, such as mowing and watering, caring for the lawn includes a whole range of important measures, some of which are purely preventive. Basic lawn care is much like caring for any garden plants. It includes six components:
- Cutting and maintaining edges.
- Top dressing.
- Airing or aeration.
Additional measures to eliminate defects:
- restoration of bald spots;
- fight with moss;
- weed control.
Pay attention to our detailed material: Lawn repair, weed control and other problems.
Mowing and caring for the edges of lawns can be easily equated with art and highlighted as a separate “point” of care. He is the most important in the care of the lawn. This so important procedure is crucial not only for the formation of a beautiful, but also healthy lawn. Moreover, there are many nuances of lawn mowing, and it is very important to choose an individual approach to the selection of height and frequency of procedures.
Both cleaning and lawn repair claims to be a special care component. These are measures to combat pollution, mosses, weeds and problems in the development of turf, which also require a special approach to themselves. And here are three “Ps” - watering, weeding and airing - the basic and simple components of caring for a green carpet, in which, if the process is organized correctly, it is difficult to make a mistake.
There is no need to be afraid of difficulties in lawn care. He needs care, like any really important object for you on the site. Modern technology and automatic watering systems solve most of the problems associated with caring for green areas. If you like lawns, then any "trifle", even the most labor-intensive procedures will bring pleasure. A live emerald carpet itself signals problems and gives considerable pleasure in the details of care. Moreover, each operation literally transforms the lawns and gives the sensation of observing the fast fruits of their efforts.
Active lawn care lasts only during the active garden season - from spring to autumn, and two transitional seasons are not included in the entire period of work with the lawn. Winter is a time of good rest, when the main task is not to cause harm to the emerald carpet. Consider the features of caring for green areas by season.
Spring lawn care
The start of the season for caring for emerald carpets does not coincide with the start of the main garden season. The first procedures for the lawn are carried out only in April, in the middle band - traditionally not earlier than the third decade of the month. And even then, in the first works, care must be taken not to harm the turf with unnecessary load.
In early spring it is better to avoid:
- walks on the lawn, especially on wet or frozen grass at night;
- watering and any tacking.
The procedures in April boil down to removing dry grass and debris from the surface of the lawn with a light rake or manually. They carry out cleaning only when moisture leaves the soil and the turf will not be in a waterlogged state.
Full lawn care actually begins only in May. After thawing and drying of the upper soil, they begin the first serious procedures:
- When establishing a stable positive temperature, in the first place, it is often recommended to add nitrogen top dressing to quickly grow and restore sod. But for top dressing you need a haircut, and top dressing should be postponed until the first mowing procedures.
- Mandatory scarification is carried out, removing debris, moss, dry grass.
- If necessary, sanding, processing bald spots and grass seeding are carried out on the lawn. When laying a rolled lawn, cut and replace the damaged areas of the turf.
- With obvious signs of fungal infection, fungicides are treated to prevent the problem from spreading to a large area. But since all spring procedures contribute to the healing of turf, they usually wait until the summer with serious measures and apply fungicides even when the basic measures did not help.
- After the grass rises to a height of 8 cm, the first mowing is carried out to a height of at least 5-6 cm. Leaving mowed grass on the lawn in the spring is undesirable.
- After the first or second haircut, the first top dressing is carried out. For spring, you need to use nitrogen mixtures, starting or complex fertilizers for lawns. Introduce the mixture along with plentiful watering and on cool days, avoiding any procedures in dry and hot weather.
- After the second or third mowing, aeration is carried out by piercing the turf to a depth of about 5 cm over the entire surface of the lawn.
- In the damaged areas, the sowing and laying of new turf continues.
- They begin to fight weeds mechanically - by manually removing them.
Summer lawn care
The most traumatic season for lawns is associated not only with the need to provide regular watering and top dressing, but also with a high risk of lawn capture by weeds and loss of decorative turf. At the beginning and end of summer, active robots are carried out with the lawn, but during the heat of July, procedures are limited to only vital ones.
At the beginning of summer, the lawn will need the following measures:
- Weed treatment, which is best done in the first half of June.
- The first top dressing in the summer season, which is carried out using complex fertilizers. Optimal dates are the second or third decade of June.
- Regular watering, which is carried out, controlling the degree of drying of the soil and focusing on the abundance of rainfall.
- Regular haircuts with a frequency of 4-7 days (in early June it is still not advisable to allow haircuts below 5 cm).
- Mulching with prolonged droughts (mowed grass is left on the lawn for several days).
In mid-summer, lawn care comes down to the following procedures:
- Regular heavy watering.
- Haircuts with a classic frequency.
- Top dressing with complex fertilizer for lawns in the second decade of July.
- Additional sowing of grass on bald spots at the end of July.
- Treatment with fungicides for signs of spread of fungal infections.
Of all the summer months, the most active lawn care is needed in August. In anticipation of autumn, you need to make sure that the lawn receives all the necessary care and is fully prepared for the cold. Mandatory procedures include:
- Watering in dry weather with a gradual decrease in soil moisture and an increase in the interval between procedures.
- Haircuts with a frequency of about 1 time per week.
- In August, the first top dressing with autumn fertilizers is carried out (if the lawn is in a weakened state or there are signs of a lack of nutrients, top dressing can also be carried out with universal fertilizers, but only in the first half of the month).
- Reprocessing from weeds.
- Seeding grass or replacing damaged turf.
- Mandatory combing and scarification.
- Re-treatment with fungicides in cases of fungal infections.
Autumn lawn care
The main task in the fall is to remove garbage from the lawn. Raking the fallen leaves is only the first step to preparing the lawn for winter and putting it in order, but it is very important. The accumulated debris should be removed as quickly as possible: under the leaves of the sod, it fosters and the risk of the spread of fungi is high.
Preparing the lawn for winter involves several important procedures:
- Mowing is carried out less and less, only in September with a frequency of 1 time in 14-15 days, in October they are guided by the weather and grass growth rates. The last haircut is carried out at the end of October, with warm autumn - at the beginning of November, leaving a grass stand not less than 5 cm high.
- Aeration in the autumn is carried out only if it is really necessary, there are signs of excessive compaction of the turf or its overmoistening due to heavy rainfall. But it needs to be carried out in the early autumn, combining, if necessary, with sanding and liming.
- Carry out a thorough scarification.
- At the beginning of autumn, they make special autumn fertilizer for lawns, which will allow green carpets to prepare for winter.
- Winter crops are carried out at the end of October on bare areas and bald spots.
- From mid-October on wet grass you need to try not to walk.
Winter lawn care
In the cold season, the lawn must be protected from any outside interference and from any load. It’s better not to walk on the lawn from the moment the grass stops growing - when the temperature drops below +5 degrees. Accurate walks or careful steps can be allowed only when the lawn is covered with a thick layer of snow. And even then, in the absence of emergency, it is better not to step on the surface of the lawn: it is at this time that the risk of inevitable damage to the turf is high.
Usually it is recommended not to take any action with the cleaning or distribution of snow, pouring it onto the lawn. But one winter procedure may still be needed: if, as a result of a strong thaw or a sharp temperature drop, weather anomalies, instead of snow, the ice crust covered the lawn, then it is advisable to destroy it - with a rake, pitchfork or any other tool.